This is a question that is often asked in practice. Most people feel that they don’t have to worry as the weather gets colder, but flea treatments should be done all year round to get rid of those nasty little fleas.
How can you get rid of fleas?
Fleas can be a problem in the cleanest home and cleanest pet. So you don’t need to worry, it’s not through lack of your own home management!
The best way to treat for fleas is by treating both your animal and the environment, as the flea can survive without actually being on an animal for months!
Clean bedding on a hot wash, vacuum floors, carpets, furniture – can help reduce the number of fleas.
And finally, monthly spot on flea treatment applied to your cat.
How do I know my cat has fleas?
Look for signs:
- Is your pet scratching?
- Check the last date that you applied the flea treatments
- Look for any little dark spots in the cats fur, or any small brown/black insects moving
- Check yourself for any insect bites
If a flea bites your cat it can make them uncomfortable and itchy, but they can also bring other problems:
- your cat can be hypersensitive to flea saliva and suffer an allergic reaction
- the fleas feed on blood, so young or frail animals can become weak- due to blood loss
- the flea larvae can become infected with tapeworm eggs, so it is also important to be de-worming your cat regularly as well
- 95% of the fleas eggs will live in the environment and not on your pet. Yuk!
- de-flea all year round even when it is cold, cause as soon as you put the central heating on the eggs with hatch and you will have an endless cycle of fleas.
Please do not hesitate to contact us about any flea concerns.