On the 21st of November 2016, little Fudge the cat, was found between two parked cars. She was soaked through to the skin, freezing cold and she wasn’t weight bearing on her back leg. Her owner had noticed some blood and thought maybe she may had been hit by a car so she rushed her down to Vet4Life, where Elle examined her.
Elle thought that poor Fudge hadn’t been hit by a car, but had been attacked by another animal. There was extensive bruising to her tummy and and there were puncture wounds on her leg. Fudge was very unwell, so after stabilising her and giving her pain relief, she still required overnight care.
In the morning, she continued to receive pain relief and antibiotics to treat her wounds. She went home that night on fluids and a strict care regime. Continue Reading
This month’s Big Bear Award goes to Storm! Storm is a lovely 11 year old Siamese.
Storm has been through a lot in his life, has a history of getting into cat fights and is always coming in for treatment.
Earlier this year he came in due to a decrease in appetite, weight loss, and a small mass on the side of his face.
Storm’s owners were concerned as the mass on the face was getting bigger so they brought him in to see our vet. The vet carried out a FNA (Fine needle asprite) of the mass to be sent off to the lab. The results came back confirming that Storm has Salivary Gland Adenocarcinoma. Continue Reading
Thursday 22 December
Friday 23 December
Surbiton 8am-7pm Continue Reading
This month our Big Bear award goes to Jake. Jake is a 6 and a half year old dwarf lop rabbit. This is picture of him relaxing at home.
Poor Jake has a history of bad dentition (teeth) which can be a common problem in rabbits. We initially saw Jake for a second opinion after he had been treated at another vets. Rabbit teeth continue growing throughout their lifetime and this can be problematic if they are not worn down or if the jaw is misaligned.
Dental examination revealed that Jake’s incisor and molar teeth were not meeting properly and needed attention as they were preventing him from chewing properly. The molar teeth were burred down and the incisors needed to be removed. We advise that all rabbits have regular dental checks to ensure they have good teeth. Feeding the right diet with enough hay is also very important to wear down the teeth.
Jake was managing well with his teeth and coming in regularly for dental checks every few months to have his remaining teeth trimmed. During this period, his owner noticed that he had a reduced appetite and was passing smaller drier faecal pellets. Since rabbits are grazers, it is really important that they eat regularly to maintain good gut health. Jake was brought in for a check up. We diagnosed Jake with a condition called ileus – this is when the guts stop working effectively. Continue Reading
Brook is a gorgeous Devon Rex cat who is much loved by all of us here at the clinic. Since 2015 Brook has been in and out of the clinic for investigations of breathing problems and lumps. Unfortunately back in July, he was diagnosed with dendritic histiocytoma which is a type of low grade skin cancer.
Brook had surgery and we removed a lump from his back leg. Because there is not much skin in this area the surgical technique is more complicated, meaning Brook needed to have a bandage on his leg which required frequent replacement. He has been very brave throughout all of his treatment, taking his medication without complaint and he is still friendly and happy when he comes for visits.
One month ago Brook celebrated his 16th Birthday and enjoyed a party, complete with special cake and candles, at home with his family.
Hundreds of dogs and their owners gathered in Udney Hall Gardens on Sunday 11 September to participate in the fabulous Teddington Dog Olympics! Events included Doggy Limbo, Waggiest Tail, Longest Sit, Best Trick, Best Child and Dog Duo. There were also a number of stands showcasing local businesses and charities. Over £2,250 was raised for local animal charities. Thanks to all who came and made it a great day!
Here are a few photos – there are a lot more on our Facebook page! Continue Reading
Sacha has been known by everyone at the clinic for many years as a very special girl after she tore her Achilles tendon and needed an operation. The recovery after such an injury can be very prolonged but she was extremely brave and the leg healed beautifully.
Six weeks ago she came in because she was feeling unwell and on examination by one of our vets noticed that her gums were a little pale. Concerned about her pale gums, our vet Elle ran a blood test using our in-house laboratory and examined the blood smear. She was concerned that Sacha may have an autoimmune disease and the external laboratory confirmed the next day that Sacha had Immune Mediated Haemolytic Anaemia (IMHA).
IMHA is a terrible disease and even with the very best of care it can have a mortality rate of just 35-40%. Essentially dogs with IMHA will attack their own red cells within their body which result in destruction of the red cells and severe anaemia. Continue Reading
Myxomatosis is sometimes know as Myxi or Myxo which arrived in the UK in the 1950s and decimated the wild population of rabbits. It is still deadly and all rabbits, even indoor rabbits are at risk.
A rabbit suffering from Myxi was recently seen in Bushy Park. Please ensure your rabbit’s vaccinations are up to date!
What are the signs of myxomatosis?
It often starts with severe inflammation of the pink bit of the inside of the eyelids (conjunctivitis). Next it will cause swellings of the eyelids, around the head and the genitals. They become increasingly weak, loose their sight and most likely eventually die. Continue Reading
Today is the day that it becomes a legal requirement for all dogs to be microchipped and contact details registered with a government compliant database. Plus – after today – all puppies must be microchipped by the time they are 8 weeks old.
Any changes to your details for a pet with an existing microchip, such as address, telephone number etc. must be updated in order to remain compliant with the law. If you know your pet’s microchip number then you can check that your details are correct on the Petlog website.
The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2014 will be enforced by local authorities, police constables and community support officers. A 21 day notice to comply with the law precedes a £500 fine.
There are no exceptions except for reasons of health, which will require a vet certificate on an approved form from the Secretary of State.
At Vet4life we will always help you and check to see if your dog’s microchip is working and registered to your correct details.
Please remember we have FREE microchipping for our Family health plan members. Please contact us for more information.
There is an increase of Lyme disease-carrying in ticks (Ixodes) in the UK with more cases being reported in people and pets. This information can help to raise awareness of this disease and can help you to take measures to prevent your dog catching it.
What is Lyme Disease?
If a tick bites your pet and it is carrying the bacteria that cause Lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi), the tick can then transfer the bacteria to your pet, which sets up a infection.
Where are ticks found?
Ticks are found in a wide range of environments, including gardens. Their numbers tend to be greater in areas such as woodland, moorland and rough pasture. Parks with deer will also have a higher density, so dogs walked in places such as Richmond Park and Bushy Park are at greater risk of being bitten. Ticks are seen all year round but in greater numbers between March and September. Continue Reading