We wish you and your pets a very happy festive period in Teddington. With lots to think about it can be easy to forget the risks that are associated with Christmas and our pets. Most of the risks are present all year round, however, we do see an increase in pets eating hazards materials or foods. Our guide below covers the main hazards that are encountered during the festive period.
What are the hazards to pets during Christmas?
General Christmas hazards include:
- christmas tree pine needles
- glass baubles
- fairy lights
- salt dough ornaments
- gifts under the tree (if contain hazardous foods)
- silica gel (found inside packaging)
Food hazards include:
- mince pies
- artificial sweeteners (which can be found in cakes or desserts) xylitol is one of the hazardous sweeteners that is found in cakes and chewing gum
- roast potatoes
- cheese (especially blue types)
- christmas cake
- pigs in blankets
- cooked bones
We hope that you shouldn't need us during the festive period in Teddington, however, if your pet does happen to ingest any of the listed hazards, please contact your practice where the team can assist you in the next steps that need to be taken.
We wish you a happy and healthy festive season.